Dental Crowns are a type of dental restoration which, when cemented into place, entirely covers or "caps" over the portion of the tooth that lies at and above the gum line. Since dental crowns encase the entire visible aspect of a tooth, a dental crown in effect becomes the tooth's new outer surface.
Your dentist may recommend a crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn't enough tooth remaining.
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing.
- Restore a fractured tooth.
- Attach a bridge.
- Cover a dental implant.
- Cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth.
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment.